Tips for wedding photo editing and retouching
Wedding photography brings with it a sense of happiness, excitement, and involvement. However, it brings along a sense of responsibility too. Wedding photographers or event organizers need to make sure that they deliver exceptional wedding photos that would create ever-lasting memories in the minds of the newly-weds as well as their families. Photos come with their inherent imperfections and photographers can’t do much about them. It’s the sole responsibility of photo editors to deliver exceptional post-processing assistance so as to generate high-quality versions of images. Experienced photo editors demonstrate high levels of photo retouching competence and can guarantee the delivery of flawless and graceful outcomes.
Wedding photo editing is a process based on both art and science and the success of a wedding photo editing project would typically depend on the photo retoucher’s level of creativity and enthusiasm to generate awe-inspiring outcomes.
It all starts with a systematic approach
Just like any other process, the photo editing process too needs a common-sense approach and before you start the actual retouching process, you must take the following points into consideration:
- Make sure that you save several copies of the original files on multiple sites including external disks, DVDs, and network drives.
- You should apply the retouching efforts only on duplicated files.
- You must preserve the original file; however, this is not necessary if you are required to work on files in the RAW format.
- You must check the display settings of your computer’s monitor. You should not have a wrong notion of the actual colors.
Wedding snaps should be characterized by their elegance and class. You may definitely choose to experiment with modern techniques but you should have a clear idea as to where and how you should apply your creativity so as to generate refined, beautified, and impactful versions of wedding images.
Here we list the most common activities that the wedding photo editing process typically includes:
- Photo Cropping: Photo cropping is one of the most commonly used photo editing tools. The technique is widely applied to crop group photos and action shots alike. It’s important that the photo editor avoids over-cropping; otherwise images might appear too much ‘crowded’.
- Noise Elimination: Noise, which are fuzzy specks that are found in photos snapped at low light, disrupt the focus and overall appeal of a photo. Experienced photo editors can carry out the denoising function while boosting the overall quality and appeal of wedding pics.
- Photo Brightening: Dark wedding photos can be optimally brightened by expert image editors who are aware of the use of advanced brightening tools. They can perfectly brighten a picture to an optimal level while retaining important details and enhancing the overall look and feel of the image.
- Contrast Optimization: The process of optimizing contrasts is basically based on activities that would ensure a perfect balance between shadows and highlights. This may prove to be daunting task for those who are less familiar with the application of Photoshop tools. Expert photo editing studios would have Photoshop presets in place and they would normally automate the contrast optimization process so as to deliver outcomes within a shorter span of time.
- Image Cloning: Imperfections appearing in the form of wrinkles, spots, and blemishes may spoil image appeal. Expert editors can efficiently use the image cloning tool, eliminating flaws with just a few clicks.
- Dodging and Burning: These activities are meant to incorporate subtle changes in an image. Photo editors apply the dodging technique to reveal highlights in an image and the burning technique to bring out more details from an area that appears too light and washed out. It needs to be noted that only experienced editors who have an eye of detail and creativity can effectively use the dodging and burning tools.
- Color Correction: Wedding photos are meant to bear a feel of vibrancy and hope in them. However, this is not always the case due to camera flaws. Colors may look completely different from what they were during the event. Achieving the right color balance is one of the primary steps to enhancing image appeal. Experienced photo editing companies employ professionals who are adept at the use of advanced color correction software. So you may consider hiring one of these companies and capitalizing on their expertise
- Sharpness Enhancement: Candid shots or action shots are often found to be out-of-focus. By hiring experts to enhance the sharpness of such images, you will be able to include those images in your wedding photo album. Make sure that the sharpening tool is not overused. Else, it will destroy the overall appeal of images.
Here are a few image enhancement tips that you must consider during the wedding photo editing process:
- When you manually edit pics, you will find colour to black-and-white conversion to be more effective.
- You may use soft focus as it adds a certain delicate haze or radiance.
- Use dodge and burn tools that facilitate delicate ways to refine your images.
- Use the dodge and burn tool to apply lightning or darkening effects so as to instill a more realistic and artistic feel in the images.
- Vignette is another effect that lightens or darkens the edges of an image. You may consider using it carefully.
- If you are working on photographs that are contemporarily styled, consider experimenting with multiple exposures.
- Cross processing, which refers to the intentional processing of photographic film in a particular chemical that’s actually meant to be used for the processing of some other film, can pave the way for interesting results that will be really appreciated. However, it should be performed by experienced editors.
Colour popping, which refers to application of a vibrant color to an object that’s placed in a dull, gray background, to generate artistic effects in images. Read here more wedding photography editing tips and tricks.
Now you have two options- either you can try yourself by making use of some free or paid software programs or else you may hire any of the best wedding photo retouching companies. The latter one is recommended as manipulating the wedding snaps need an expert approach and only a professional company can do the job with that dexterity.
We are a famed photo editing company with professional wedding photo editing services as one of our main provisions. If you are in need of any sort of image editing requirement, contact us without any hesitation. We will guarantee you the best.