Photo Retouching Tips in Photoshop: For Jewelry
25 MAY, 2018
It is no secret that the fashion and jewelry industry relies hugely on visual grace. If something is displayed at its best and is appealing, it works. In other cases, it just doesn’t. As such Photoshop is a boon to this domain and is used not just to remove any imperfections but also to display a product to the best of its magnificence. The contrast settings, tone, brightness, and many other details are altered to make every image look perfect in all aspects.
This being said, Jewelry retouching techniques and the entire creative process involved in it are not easy to accomplish. A meticulous approach has to be followed while retouching every piece of jewelry, regardless of its size.
The main reason why jewelry retouching is done is to remove the flaws that have the power to negatively impact the picture of the jewelry piece. Another reason why jewelry retouching is undertaken is to make the picture look better so that it becomes more useful for commercial purposes.
Adobe Photoshop is the Holy Grail when it comes to retouching of an image. Here are some effective jewelry photography editing tips for you to be able to create a high quality jewelry image by retouching it brilliantly.
Adjust the colour balance of the image
The colour balance option in Photoshop helps adjust the colour balance of the image to make it look more appealing. One can choose which colour to be highlighted or to be treated as the background for the image.
- Firstly, open the editing software and import the image that you want to edit.
- Following this step, go to Image > Adjustment > Colour Balance
- Choose the preferred colours with the help of the sliders in the box and select OK when you’re done.
Balance the contrast or brightness
These settings can easily make the image more impactful. Photoshop does a fantastic job when it comes to adjusting the contrast and brightness of an image. Just follow the simple steps mentioned below:
- Import all the images that you need to edit on the Adobe Photoshop.
- Make a fresh layer by selecting the adjustment layer.
- Then click on contrast or brightness.
- Make modifications according to your preferred contrast or brightness level.
- Click on OK to implement the modifications.
One also has the option to create an adjustment layer and work underneath it. On clicking the half black and half white circle of the pallet, the brightness and contrast adjustment layer is created.
The utilisation of an unsharp mask
Creating natural shadow effects
It is important to adjust the exposure of the image. The adjustment layer helps to carry this out.
- Choose the image.
- Select image from the menu bar.
- Adjustment > Level
- Select OK to apply the changes.
To adjust the level of the exposure, a histogram box with the sliders appears. Adjust accordingly and then select OK to save the changes.
Grab the pen tool
This is a very good tool with high utility. When we talk about retouching a jewelry image for online stores, we include the background in it. We can edit the background or just remove jewelry photo background using Photoshop by different methods. We can use the clipping path tool as it helps to remove the background yet keeps the object in the exact same shape as before. Images edited with the help of professionals offering Photoshop clipping path services are published on commercial websites and also for advertisements.
- Import the image to Photoshop and choose the ‘pen tool’ from the toolbar.
- A shortcut to do the same is to press P
- Select a path termed as ‘path1’
- You need to draw the clipping path around the object
- Select the Ctrl button and then, click on the path you created
- To remove the background, press Q
Removal of unwanted spots and dusts
Unwanted spots removal is a crucial aspect of photography post processing services. Clear and stunning visuals are extremely important when it comes to images of jewelry pieces. For the image to look more attractive, it is essential that the image is void of any flaws. Sometimes, when the product is being photographed, the spots on it are not noticed. But, when the images are being processed, these spots need to be consciously removed. To do the same, Adobe Photoshop has a few tools. Different brush tools like Spot Healing Brush tool, Clone Stamp Tool and Healing Brush tool are a few to name.
Sometimes, the piece of jewelry has sharp edges due to stones or metals like Gold and Silver. In such cases, to make the image look a little softer, the Unsharp Mask tool is used. It is an excellent retouching tool offered by Adobe Photoshop. The tool is activated by following these steps: Filter > Sharpen.
On activating this tool, 3 sliders appear. These are called Amount, Radius and Threshold. These 3 tools help adjust the sharpness of the image. This can be done effectively if the job is entrusted upon a skilled professional adept in jewelry photo retouching services.
When you edit jewelry image in photoshop, it is necessary for you to produce a natural shadow effect, which enhance the looks of the image. While unwanted shadows can be a nuisance, it is important to give a touch to it by using the various shadow effects. This realistic impact can lead to an increment in sales, as it adds to the depth of the subject. These natural shadow effects entice the shoppers, directing their attention to an intended area. Reach out to the experts for an assistance in photoshop jewelry shadow creation. This will enhance the appearance of the jewelry to a significant extent. The experts use various photoshop retouching tools to create the desired effects in the images.
Jewelry retouching takes time and attention to details. The aim is to create something that looks exquisite and flawless. Adobe Photoshop has various tools that help us create the best versions of an image.
Resolution Upsizing For Jewelry Images
- Initially, open the image file in Photoshop
- Select ‘Image Size’ from the bottom section of Image Menu
- The dialog box for image size would open up
- Check the ‘Resample Checkbox’
- From the menu, select ‘Preserve Details (Enlargement)’
- After completing the aforesaid process, navigate to the Resolution field
- Key in the resolution which would enhance the aesthetic appeal of image optimally
- The preview of the image with all changes done would be visible in Preview Window
- If the outcome is satisfactory, you can move ahead
- You can also conveniently upsize many images, all with same size, at one go
- The custom size can be saved in Photoshop CC
- For this, choose ‘Save Preset’ within ‘Fit To’ field
Neutralize Camera Shake Effect
- While capturing images of jewelry with camera, photographer’s hands can shake
- Handheld camera stabilizers can minimize the distortion to a great extent
- If image is not captured in natural/ sufficient light, dark blurred/ hazy patches can appear
- Jewelry images with insufficient clarity may not trigger proper sales
- You can retouch a jewelry image for reduction in blur induced by shaking or low light
- Image can be polished from Filter Menu wherein ‘Shake Reduction’ option is available
- Apply it and the option would spontaneously carry on mess analysis
- Other messes created during image correction also gets cleared
- While the image is corrected, a progress bar would appear
- You can also preview the image getting refined to see the correction in progress
Layer Based Flexible Retouching
- You can carry out jewellery photo editing immaculately with the help of layers
- You may clone images, apply various filters and generate many versions of image
- The original image does not get damaged in any way
- Adjustments can be applied to selected portions of the image as per requirement
- This offers unparalleled flexibility while retouching the image
- If you are undecided about a particular aesthetics, you can experiment with various looks
- Layers help you produce many retouched versions of the image
- You can easily choose the one that best complements your needs
In Photoshop, you can go about experimenting with various actions. It might be possible that you are running short of time to devote for retouching jewelry images. This is no longer a problem. Just play around with Photoshop Actions and you would be able to accomplish your task.
In Photoshop, predefined tasks are available as batches which have been provided for fixing common problems we come across during retouching. You can fix various issues related to overexposure, softening of skin tones, or adding more glamour to an ordinary image. You can easily add vintage effects, sepia tone, bleached effect etc. to the image.
Techniques for Retouching Jewelry Images
- The jewelry photo which you want to edit has to be opened first in Photoshop.
- Photos shot under normal light may appear dim, hazy, bland, and less shiny
- Navigate to ‘Picture ->Adjustments ->Curves’
- Enhance the lighting exposure of the image by grabbing the line’s upper part
- Move the upper part more towards the top
- Click on the Polygonal Lasso tool ( you may choose other optional tool too)
- Next, move the tool across the background item for cutting it and press Ctrl+J on keyboard
- Create a fresh layer and then get this filled with shade of your choice
- Get this layer moved under the layer item which you had cut out
- Double click on the same
- The gradient background shade that has to be set must vary between white to light gray
- The item has to be selected again
- If the shade is silver, then the saturation has to be lowered further
- Navigate to ‘Picture ->Adjustments ->Saturation and Hue’ to accomplish this
- Navigate again to the Curves section
- Move the curve in the upward direction to make the item brighter
- Navigate to ‘Filter ->Sharpen ->Little Sharpen’
- Clicking on the same would lead to sharpening of the jewelry image
- The filigree and other details would become clear and the look would be enhanced
- Create a fresh new layer
- Go to Brush tool and then opt for gray shading
- Make a dot at any location
- Navigate to Edit ->Transform ->Fatten for scaling the brushed dot
- Place the dot under the jewelry image and then reduce the capacity
In this manner, you would be able to retouch any jewelry item and can eliminate scratches, spots, dust particles etc. with the help of Photoshop.
We have been working with various business firms over the years, providing them with customized jewelry photo editing services. If you need a dedicated hand in gold jewelry photo retouching, we can help you out. The image editors working on our platform can carry out photo enhancement in quick time. Get across to us for a seamless support for jewelry photo enhancement. You would also be interested to know how to remove dust spots and enhance jewelry in photoshop. You can have a look at the specimens to get an idea about the quality of our services. Reach out to us for high-quality jewelry photo enhancement services.